Living up to a legacy isn't always easy.

When this year's Gators squad arrived in Gainesville and walked through the doors of UF's practice facility, the past weighed heavily on the group.

The renovated building was built by the accomplishments of the past decade, which include nine straight NCAA Tournament appearances, three Final Fours and, of course, two national championships.

These marks in history make a burden this year's group must carry - a burden that might have become too heavy to handle.

"Certainly we're playing for a lot every single time we're stepping on the floor," UF coach Billy Donovan said, "but I made the comment - we're starting over. We lost more than anybody in the United States of America last year."

Hypothetically speaking, if the vaunted Selection Sunday were tomorrow, would these Gators (19-7, 6-5 Southeastern Conference) become one of the 65 teams bidding for a title?

It's hard to say. Bad losses to LSU and Florida State and lopsided defeats against Arkansas and Tennessee place UF squarely on the bubble.

These players - as young as they are - fully understand what's at stake and how close they are to placing their names on the wrong side of fame.

"It would be real bad," guard Nick Calathes said. "We don't want to let that happen. We don't want to be the team that misses that. Since we're definitely not in yet, we just got to play every game like it's our last. We all realize that we have to start winning some games or we're going to be in trouble."

As the Gators head down the stretch, this week's games against South Carolina and Georgia become must-wins. If UF drops either, a treacherous backend to the Gators' schedule will be played in desperation.

The Gators finish with home games against Mississippi State and No. 2 Tennessee and a trip to Lexington to face Kentucky.

Forward Chandler Parsons said the team is doing its best to remain focused and not get lost in any tournament hype. UF plays South Carolina on Wednesday and Parsons said the Gators are trying to take it one game at a time.

"We're not looking at it like we're not going to make (the NCAA Tournament)," Parsons said. "If we take care of business, then we'll be there."

Donovan stressed the same issue and said he has enough to worry about without the distraction. UF is currently free falling through the SEC and has lost four of its last five games.

Righting the ship is no easy task, and Donovan is aware that time is running out.

"I do think young people can learn through winning, but you can't learn all there is to learn about life, the game of basketball, without failures," Donovan said. "There is a product of learning through our mistakes. You're going to make mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes can be some of your biggest triumphs."

Donovan has spoken about his team's need to be "hardened" and scarred by defeat in the past. He used LSU, who has dealt with its head coach being fired and a poor record, as an example of where he thinks UF needs to be.

Whether or not the recent struggles will bring this team to its fullest potential remains to be seen. What is clear, however, is what needs to be done.

"If we win enough basketball games, we're going to get in, and if we don't win enough games, we're not going to get in," Donovan said. "It's pretty cut and dry."