The UF College of Journalism and Communications will receive $500,000 from alumnus Peter C. Barr Sr. for the public relations and advertising departments.

Barr, who graduated from the college in 1957 and is chairman of an Orlando advertising agency, Fry Hammond Barr, said he wants the college to create a closer relationship between the two "promotion" departments.

Barr said he wants the college to eventually offer a major in "integrated marketing communications," which would be a combination of public relations and advertising.

His endowment is also eligible for matching state funds of $250,000.

Barr said the money would help bring in speakers who represent the integration of the two fields.

"I hope it brings in people in the big, wide world beyond Paynes Prairie," Barr said.

He said he's tried for the past 10 years to advance the program, but now he also has the support of the college's dean and the administration.

Dr. John Wright, dean of the College of Journalism and Communications, said creating the new major is a possibility, and he hopes students will take advantage of the new opportunities.