UF students expressed concern about an SFCC gunman Tuesday, but UF officials said there was no reason to worry - and no reason for an emergency text message.

Rumors on campus spread throughout the day with radio reports and phone calls from parents, but some students said they never received solid information from the UF administration.

"Holy smokes," said Mike Strahl, a UF sophomore, upon hearing the news. "Why didn't UF send out one of those texts they talk about?"

After last week's shooting at Northern Illinois University, Strahl said he's especially nervous on campus because gunmen always inspire copycats at other schools.

Steve Orlando, UF spokesman, said UF officials considered sending out a campus-wide text, but because UF was in no direct danger, a message was posted on the UF home page instead.

In addition, UF did not increase campus security because the University Police Department was assisting SFCC, Orlando said.

He said UPD's involvement guaranteed that UF would be immediately informed of any impending danger and there was no threat to UF.

Capt. Jeff Holcomb, UPD spokesman, said there was no need to panic students who were in no danger by sending a text message.

Holcomb was at SFCC with officers for most of Tuesday, and he said while he hopes nothing similar ever happens at UF, the experience helped UPD officers prepare in case it does.

Alligtor staff writers Kim Wilmath and Jessica Ponn contributed to this report.