There's no love lost here.

When UF and Tennessee lock horns tonight in Knoxville, the Gators' eldest player has his mind set on what to expect from the Volunteers.

"I think they don't like us," junior Walter Hodge said. "They're proud of what they're doing and they don't respect nobody."

In his career, Hodge - the only upperclassman on UF's roster - has lost three out of four against Tennessee, and the Gators have lost four of their past five decisions in Knoxville and trail the all-time series 64-48.

This year, the Gators (18-4, 5-2 Southeastern Conference), head into the matchup as heavy underdogs to a No. 7 Tennessee team (19-2, 6-1 SEC) considered to be one of the nation's best.

The Volunteers are favored by 10 1/2 points in the SEC Eastern Division battle, which has had its share of hostile moments over the past few years.

In the 2005-06 season, UF dropped two heartbreakers to Tennessee. In the first contest, former Gators forward Corey Brewer turned the ball over with less than a minute remaining, leading to Tennessee's game-winning basket with 20 seconds left. The second game was eerily similar, as Brewer's inbounds pass was intercepted and converted into an easy layup that sealed the Vols' win.

Last season, the two teams swapped convincing wins, UF taking the first 94-78 and Tennessee grabbing the second 86-76.

The two teams have developed a fierce rivalry lately, and Hodge said he understands why the Volunteers aim to beat UF each season, but he remains confused about the hatred between the programs.

"We have to go over there and keep playing hard," he said. "I don't know (why they don't like us). We beat them a couple times, they beat us a couple times. It's just that game that you want to win every time you play against them."

The Gators must develop short-term memory if they are to stand a chance. UF is coming off an embarrassing 80-61 loss to Arkansas on Saturday.

After the loss, a heated and concerned Billy Donovan vented his frustration by calling two practices on Sunday - something usually reserved for the early season.

The first took place at 10 a.m. and focused on defense and intensity.

"We needed to get some work done, especially on the defensive end," forward Dan Werner said. "Guys were called some names. The coaches really got on us. I wouldn't say it was fun."

The second came at 3 p.m. and revolved around offensive play-calling and scouting Tennessee.

Donovan said he thought his team responded well and seemed unfazed by the lopsided loss.

"They're a very unemotional group as a whole, and I don't say that in a negative way," Donovan said. "We don't have a 'rah rah' team. … These guys are a quiet and reserved group. I don't think that they don't play hard or they don't give a great effort. It's just their makeup as people, and sometimes it's a good thing."

Donovan said the team's stoic demeanor could help it moving forward, especially in a hostile environment like Tennessee, which Hodge referred to as "wild and crazy." The Gators could benefit from remaining calm and collected throughout.

Werner, who witnessed the atmosphere first hand as a freshman last season, warned his teammates to expect their toughest test yet.

"We probably don't like each other, but we definitely respect each other," Werner said. "They're a great team and we know that, but that doesn't mean we like them. We're trying to go in there and compete and battle, 'cause if we don't bring our 'A' game, we don't have a shot at winning."