UF's Florida Opportunity Scholars Program received a $100,000 donation on March 8, adding to the more than $3 million raised for the program since its start in 2006.

Don Sadler, AT&T director of public affairs, said his company was eager to support the scholarship program, which aids first-generation college students from households with annual incomes of less than $40,000 a year to cover college expenses.

"We like to support programs that do good, and this program does good," Sadler said.

He said the check was presented to UF President Bernie Machen during a dinner on March 8.

Sadler said AT&T has a commitment to UF, and Marshall Criser III, president of AT&T Florida, is a UF alumnus and a member on the board of directors for the UF Foundation, the organization that handles UF's endowments.

Chris Brazda, spokesman for the foundation, said the program was created to help economically disadvantaged students pay for expenses other than tuition.

Brazda said the program is largely funded through private donations and has had more than 500 different contributors so far.

"It's been very popular and for good reason," he said.

Money contributed to the program was originally matched by funding from the Legislature.

Steve Orlando, UF spokesman, said there were no matching funds from the state during the past year due to budget cuts.

Brazda said 771 UF students currently receive awards from this program.

He expects that number to rise to 1,100 students next year.

UF records show that the average award to each Florida Opportunity Scholar has been about $4,000.

Brazda said awards vary based on each student's financial needs, and $3.7 million has been raised for the program since the summer of 2006.