No. 3 Gators prove selves by sweeping No. 8 Tigers

The Gators were on a mission to erase three years of futility with three days of prosperity.

Behind lights-out pitching and timely hitting, No. 3 UF (40-2, 12-1 Southeastern Conference) came away with a series sweep of No. 8 LSU (29-7, 8-3 SEC), breaking an 11-game losing streak dating back to 2004.

"It's huge," UF coach Tim Walton said. "When you build a program, the measuring stick is, can you beat the best teams in your league?"

It's safe to say that after Sunday's 7-0 victory at Pressly Stadium, UF's softball program is measuring up just fine.

Junior Stacey Nelson (25-2) got the start in a rematch of Saturday's first-game showdown with LSU ace Dani Hofer (16-4).

Nelson threw a complete-game shutout, letting up just three hits against five strikeouts.

"I'll take Stacey Nelson on my team any day," said senior Mary Ratliff of the ace's performance. "She's amazing. Every time we put her on the mound, we're going to win. That's the mindset of our entire team."

Ratliff was one of three Gators to hit a home run in the final contest of the weekend.

UF got out to an early lead in the first inning when junior Ali Gardiner drove in freshman Aja Paculba with a sharp one-out single to centerfield.

Sophomore Francesca Enea came up to the plate next, and she delivered a two-run bomb over the left field wall that left the park in the blink of an eye. The three early runs chased Hofer from the game before the Tigers recorded their second out.

"Dani Hofer is one of the best pitchers in the country," said Gardiner, one of the many UF hitters to express respect for the LSU hurler.

The Gators would add two more runs in the third when Ratliff lined a double into the right-field gap, scoring Paculba and Gardiner from second and first respectively.

With a 5-0 lead, Gardiner and Ratliff each added a solo home run in the fifth inning, putting an exclamation point on the weekend.

"It's fun, when you see your team, everybody getting on one of the top pitchers not only in the SEC, but in America," Ratliff said. "That makes our young team excited."

Without question, the most exciting game of the series came on Saturday, when UF ended LSU's 17-game win streak in a 6-1 decision.

Nelson went the distance, allowing one unearned run as she outpitched Hofer for the first time in their college careers.

"Oh my gosh! It's the biggest relief to know that we can beat them and beat them good," said an elated Nelson after the first day of games. "It's phenomenal."

Game 2 was a reminder that the Gators can pitch even without Nelson in the circle.

Freshman Stephanie Brombacher took the ball and pitched a gem in the biggest game of her young career.

She scattered five hits over seven innings, outdueling a strong performance from Tigers sophomore Cody Trahan.

In the second inning, UF manufactured a run when Ratliff reached first on a error, moved to second on a Tiffany DeFelice sacrifice bunt, stole third and eventually scored on a sacrifice fly by junior Kristina Hilberth.

Freshman Megan Bush would add the second run of the inning when she drove the ball off of the center field wall. LSU center fielder Jazz Jackson went back to try to make a leaping catch when the ball slammed off the top of the fence, allowing Bush to take advantage on the base paths.

As she headed to third, Walton sent her home, where she slid under the tag from Tigers catcher Killian Roessner for an inside-the-park home run.

"I just saw an opening," Bush said. "She kind of opened her legs, and I slid to the plate."

Bush had been struggling so badly with the bat that Walton pinch-hit for her with the bases loaded in the previous game.

"I haven't been the go-to hitter right now," said Bush. "I would much rather have the lead. It didn't bother me."

After that two-run half inning, the pitchers would match zeros on the way to a 2-0 win for the Gators.

The importance of beating LSU resonated throughout the team, and many players said the confidence boost will help them finish the season strong.

"It means that if we can beat LSU, we can beat anybody," Nelson said. "They've been our Everest since I've been here."