Students preview summer opportunities at job fair

While UF students are in the midst of spring semester, UF's Career Resource Center focused on the next season with the Summer Job Fair Thursday on the Reitz Union Colonnade.

The fair featured representatives from 34 companies offering summer jobs, including Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, Gainesville Health & Fitness Center, CareerBuilder.com and various summer camps from across the country, said Ja'Net Glover, CRC assistant director for career events.

Glover said representatives at the event offered part-time and full-time jobs.

"We're really happy that the campus lets us come here and get to know the students," said Cartson Ko, a recruiter from CareerBuilder.com.

Ko's table featured T-shirts, plastic cups and a booth where students could take an aptitude test.

"We're a grassroots kind of company," Ko said. "We try and talk to students and have this whole thing rolled out as a career."

Denni Eisen, a representative from Pine Forest Camp said she was happy with the turnout, especially since some of her former counselors, who were recruited from UF, came out to help.

"I think the casual atmosphere is great to recruit counselors for the camp, but it would be great if it weren't so windy," Eisen said with a laugh.

Derek Bernstein, a UF sports management graduate student, milled around the fair in search of job opportunities.

"I think all these places offer a good opportunity for people to get experience out of the state," Bernstein said.

He said he thought he had a lot of success during his interviews.

"And at least I didn't have to wear a suit, like the career fair at the O'Connell Center," Bernstein said.