I have always believed that things happen for a reason.

My faith was tested severely time and time again this school year, as setback after setback made my post-graduation professional dream look dimmer and dimmer.

Finally, in January, that dream was shattered after months of hard work.

Unlike many journalism graduates, I was lucky.

I had a fallback option.

Instead of traveling abroad for the summer, I will work in Chicago, my birthplace and the home of the majority of my extended family.

I wasn't thrilled with settling for option No. 2.

I wasn't thrilled, up until a few weeks ago, when I listened to my mom on the phone, and my heart sank.

Dorothy had cancer.

We all shorten her name to "Do." She is the leader of our family. She helped raise me and my brothers and sisters. She brought us close to God. She has always been there for us, even when separated by 1,000 miles.

Doctors diagnosed my 80-year-old great aunt - the world's greatest great-aunt - with stage-four colon cancer that had spread so much so that her large intestine had to be removed.

She has already beaten cancer twice, but the prognosis is not good.

She spent a week in the hospital and is currently back there for a minor problem.

As difficult as it is for my parents, my four siblings and myself to cope with, I came to one somewhat positive revelation recently.

I get to spend this summer with her back home in Chicago. The rest of my family is taking turns traveling to Illinois to see her for days at a time.

I get months.

I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be, not even living that dream that fell through back in January.

Things happen for a reason.

This is my final story as an Alligator writer after three years on the sports staff.

I wish I could rev up the De Lorean, travel through time and live it all over again.

But I don't want this column to be about me.

It's about those who shaped me while at the Alligator, those who I look up to and those who I care about.

Without further ado, here come the thank yous (I apologize beforehand if my forgetful mind left anyone out).

Alligator mentors Drew's Control, Louis in the Bullpen, App-etite for Receptions and Extra Iannings. You all rock. Just reading your stories and interacting with you in my first three years taught me so much about the business. I hope I made you proud.

Fellow seniors Spencer Davis-VanNess, Alden Gonzalez, Bryan Jones, Danny Klein, Jenna Marina and Rachel Robins. We experienced so much together, and I would not trade those times for anything in the world, not even an Illinois national championship.

Spencer, thanks for coming out of retirement to copy edit.

Alden and Rachel, I forgive you for leaving the Alligator.

Danny, cherish the Record.

Bryan, reading your column on Tuesday brought me the closest to tears I have been since April 4, 2005. I will always be a phone call away if you want to discuss fantasy sports.

Jenna, you are the most amazing person I have ever met. You inspire me. I hope I can travel to Atlanta once or twice this summer to see your smiling face again. Don't forget to pack the pepper spray.

Other alligatorSports alums Josh Armstrong, Antonio Gonzalez, Dan Treat, Alex Weintraub and Chris White. You guys are spread throughout the country now, from Alaska to Lake City. I wish you all the best of luck.

Photographers Andy Apicella, Tim Casey, Luanne Dietz, Casey Lawson, Kristin Nichols and Andrew Stanfill. Just once, I would like to switch jobs with you for a football game, but I would not look forward to lugging all that equipment up and down the sideline.

Copy editors Mike Harkins, Jennifer Klee, Jennifer Shepard, Jenn Pfaff, Heather Waters, and many others. Thanks for catching my countless grammatical and factual errors and making me look like a somewhat competent writer in print.

Production all-stars Billy Bender, Kristin Bjornsen, Steph Gocklin and James Hibbs. I will miss Kristin and Steph's hard work and ability to keep the sports department in line at midnight. I will miss the Billy and James comedy hour in back just as much, if not more.

And special thanks to Patricia Carey, who was gracious enough to allow the finance of most of the sports road trips.

alligatorSports undergrads Bobby Callovi, Mike DiFerdinando, Evan Drexler, Andy Hutchins, Karl Hyppolite, Phil Kegler, Kyle Maistri, Mike McCall, Shannon McCarthy, Brian Steele, Eugenio Torrens and Christopher Yazbec. I know the sports section is in good hands. And if it isn't, you know you will be hearing from me.

Brian, kick ass in your last year.

Mike, I pass the Tim Tebow baton to you, from one Nease alum to another.

Gators beat writers Dave Curtis, Lindsay Jones and Edgar Thompson. Thanks for showing me the ropes. If I could improve to be half as talented as any of you, then I'll be more than satisfied.

Sports information directors, including Kathy Cafazzo, Fred Demarest, Zack Higbee, Mary Howard and Steve McClain, you all do a great job (you don't hear that enough from the beat writers), even though we had our share of disagreements.

And thanks to all the players and coaches, whose success allowed me to travel across the country, nearly for free.

If I have any loyal readers out there, I feel obligated to tell you this:

I have accepted an internship covering the Chicago Cubs for MLB.com this summer.

I get to return to my hometown and work in a baseball cathedral.

While spending my days at Wrigley Field, there will be times I think to myself, it doesn't get any better than this, does it?

Then I will flash back, reminisce about the Alligator and realize how great I really had it.