You have probably never heard of Estelle, but you will shortly.

The British singer and rapper, who is signed to John Legend's Homeschool Records, blends neo soul, hip-hop and dance music sensibilities without sacrificing her cultural roots on her sophomore album, "Shine."

Instead of pandering to the increasingly dumbed-down American hip-hop archetype, Estelle brings a refreshing take to the genre, with a distinctly British accent and colloquialism.

In fact, her guest artists are the ones that cater to the British sensibility.

"American Boy," which is currently the No. 1 song on the UK music charts, is a delicious international dance anthem in which Estelle expresses her need for an American lover, name checking American landmarks and cities. Conversely, guest Kanye West raps in a British vernacular, using the words "bloke," "wags" and "rubbish" for the first time in one of his verses.

The rest of "Shine" is equally eclectic and intriguing.

Jamaican/Canadian rapper Kardinal Offishall assists on the dancehall-tinged "Magnificent," while Gnarls Barkley singer Cee-Lo performs on "Pretty Please (Love Me)," which is pure Motown soul, with cheery background vocals punctuating a snappy bass line and upbeat piano melodies.

Estelle doesn't need superstar assistance on "Shine," though.

She's equally comfortable on poppy dance songs like "Wait A Minute (Just a Touch)" and the title track as she is on personal ballads such as "More Than Friends" and "Back In Love."

All of the songs show her solid songwriting abilities too.

Combined with top-notch production, Estelle is the best UK import to hit American shores since Amy Winehouse.