Dance Marathon to raise funds for Children's Miracle Network

About 650 UF students will participate in non-stop bop this weekend for Dance Marathon, a fundraiser that benefits the Children's Miracle Network at Shands Children's Hospital at UF.

The 14th annual Dance Marathon will kick off at 11:30 a.m. at the O'Connell Center Saturday. Dance Marathon has raised more than $2.3 million in the past 13 years, including more than $362,000 in 2007, the event's news release stated.

About 600 more volunteers will also be at the O'Connell Center to ensure that participants, who must stay awake and on their toes for the duration of the event, are dancing safely.

Jordan Bell, overall director of UF's Dance Marathon, said the biggest difference between this year and past events is the event's length: This year, it decreased from 32 hours to 26.2 hours to accurately reflect the span of a marathon in miles.

Bell said the amount was shortened because staff members were scraping for activities to occupy tired dancers for the event's entirety.

"We can accomplish the same goals if we shorten the time," Bell said.

Vocalists, breakdancers, line dancers, masseuses, Southwest Recreation Center fitness instructors and a magician are also scheduled to attend.