In her column on Thursday, Ms. Ganzak asked all the wrong questions. "Why is the Internet so open?" she wondered. The question should be "Why is everything else so closed?"

The federal government regulates the airwaves because they are public property and must therefore be used for the public good. The Internet exists on private servers and is not nearly so burdened. The regulation of the Internet is not only unfeasible but also unnecessary and dangerous. The Internet's greatest strength is perhaps the fact it is open, free and unburdened of the regulations and considerations that weigh on other media.

I understand that Ms. Ganzak may find certain elements of the Internet unpalatable. But that is precisely the issue that was pondered by our founding fathers when considering freedom of speech: People may not like what you have to say.

This does not mean I encourage or condone the videos she used as examples; rather it means I understand the fundamental principle that my distaste for something does not justify subverting it.

As a nation, do we really want to abdicate the responsibility of parenting our children to the federal government?