Gators forward Jonathan Mitchell has decided to transfer from UF, sports information director Fred Demarest confirmed Friday morning.

His departure solves the scholarship issue the Gators faced for next season.

Per NCAA rules, teams are allotted 13 scholarships, but with nine scholarship players able to return and five recruits on the way, UF had overbooked by one.

"Jonathan is an outstanding individual and a terrific person," coach Billy Donovan said in a released statement. "I would like to help Jonathan and his family in any way possible to ensure the best for his future, both academically and athletically."

The sophomore leaves having never made the type of impact on the court that he did in high school. Mitchell averaged 19.5 points and 7.6 rebounds per game during his senior year at Mount Vernon (New York) and broke Ben Gordon's record as the school's all-time leading scorer.

But he had trouble defining his role at UF, playing only 6.2 minutes per game his sophomore year. He averaged 3.1 points and 1.8 rebounds this season off the bench.