SG replaces award banquet with donations to student groups

Student Government officials gathered Wednesday night to reward their peers for their work this year, minus the $10,000 spent on banquets in past years.

Instead of spending thousands of dollars on an end-of-the-year SG awards banquet, Ryan Moseley, Student Body president, said the executive branch raised $15,000 this year to donate to the Institute of Black Culture and the Institute of Hispanic-Latino Cultures, or La Casita.

"We're just not really banquet people," Moseley said.

Moseley said selling old UF yearbooks and sponsorships for the housing fairs in spring and fall helped raise the money to benefit building renovations for both institutes.

Earlier this year, Moseley arranged for unused furniture and computers at the Reitz Union to be donated to both groups as part of the Gator Party's platform. This most recent donation would buy furniture and updated technology for both institutes, Moseley said.

At the SG awards assembly, Moseley and Vanessa Goodwin, Student Body vice president, handed out plaques to some SG officials to recognize their service and leadership, throwing in jokes about how much hair gel Moseley uses in between.

Most awards were given to SG Cabinet directors and secretaries. Some members of Student Senate were also honored.

Brian Aungst, UF Supreme Court chief justice, put on his judicial robes to swear in the incoming executive branch, including Kevin Reilly as Student Body president, Yooni Yi as Student Body vice president and Paul Drayton as Student Body treasurer.

They pledged to "preserve, protect and defend" the Student Body constitution in their positions.

The new executive officers will take office on May 1.

"I have huge, huge shoes to fill," Reilly said.