Sorority members pass pigskin for First and 15 charity game

Members of the Gators football team paced the sidelines of UF's Norman Field on Sunday. They could only watch as a football flew from one end zone to the other. This time, it was not their game.

Student Government, Tim Tebow and UF's Greek community joined forces Sunday for the first SG-sponsored, large-scale philanthropy, First and 15. The event was a powder puff football game played by 14 sororities to raise money for Florida's orphanages and the homeless.

Tebow thought of the idea for First and 15 a month ago and approached Student Body President Ryan Moseley to make it a reality.

"Tim did a fantastic job," Moseley said. "For a guy to have a schedule like that and pull this off - that's true credit to him."

Moseley estimated the philanthropy raised more than $10,000, and he hopes it will become an annual event.

Spectators paid a $5 entrance fee to watch the games. The sororities sold shirts, a disc jockey played music, and food was catered.

Danny Ponce, a member of UF's Board of Trustees who is also a member of UF's Athletic Association Board of Directors, said it was great to see the football players interacting with their fellow students.

"That's a home run in and of itself, to use a baseball analogy," Ponce said with a laugh.

The event lasted from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with single elimination games.

The championship game was followed by an awards ceremony where Tebow presented the winning team with a trophy.

For the final game, Delta Delta Delta, coached by UF offensive linemen Mike Pouncey and Maurkice Pouncey, and Delta Gamma, coached by UF tight end Cornelius Ingram, battled for the first-place trophy, with Tri Delta prevailing. Third place went to Delta Zeta.

Despite the thousands of dollars raised, Moseley and Tebow stressed that the event was more about raising the awareness.

"I'm thankful for everyone that was involved," Tebow said. "It's been a fun day for the girls and a great day to help some kids."