Goodbyes are tough.

Every semester I say goodbye to at least one good friend, and it's both impossible and expensive to buy the perfect parting gift for each one. Whether it's another occupation, graduation or relocation, people enter and exit our paths all the time. One of the best ways I cope with the partings is by creating the most relevant, enjoyable, kick-ass compilation CD possible.

Easy, you say. Typical, you scoff. But whether you love them or hate them, these feeble discs can capture moments just as well as a card or photograph, if not better.

And they take work.

When creating such a masterpiece, you need to have two things: a wide knowledge of music to track down the perfect tunes (or at least a decent enough encyclopedia to find a few gems) and a good memory to remember which songs fit with which moments.

If you are successful in your creation, there will be no need for an explanation as to how each song earned its way onto the album. Each song will be just as good as the last, sparking more smiles and nostalgia with each note.

If I can buy a Mother's Day card filled with heart-warming prose written by someone else, why not continue this habit with music? At least this way, each song is carefully picked based on a specific moment that was significant enough to be remembered and referenced with music. I'm no Elton John, but when "Tiny Dancer" comes on, I picture the classic bus sing-along from "Almost Famous." By combining a mix of different songs from various times and genres, hopefully every time you hear one tune you'll smile and remember a distant memory once shared with that special person. I might not be able to write the perfect lyrics to capture the times, but I can try by fashioning the perfect soundtrack. Sure, plenty of people dance to Young Love, but "Discotech" doesn't hold the same worth for everyone. Even common favorites like Billy Joel's "Piano Man" can evoke a memory and tug at your heart strings.

And the best perk is that a mixed CD is good for everyone. I've created them for friends, co-workers, family and of course, myself. And who didn't give or receive a mixed tape to a crush in middle school? They can work as a token of love or a thoughtful going-away gift.

On several occasions, my roommate and I discussed what we thought our theme songs would be if our lives were produced into a movie. Would we be remembered with an inspirational ballad like the "Rocky" theme, or a quirky tune that followed Doug Funnie? I have one friend who I'll always remember for his love for Elton John and big, white-frame sunglasses. So it's natural that his CD was personalized with "Bennie and the Jets" and "Levon."

Your friends might not have theme songs yet, but why not help build their soundtracks?