Marreese Speights didn't hire an agent so he could have the possibility of returning to UF.

But, more than a month in a half later, Speights is stuck doing solo workouts and not having any more of a clue where his future stands now than he did when the Gators' season ended.

It's not an easy situation for players, such as Speights, that are not guaranteed lottery picks. If you're name isn't Michael Beasley, Derrick Rose, Kevin Love, Jerryd Bayless, Brook Lopez or - even with his current issues - OJ Mayo, then you're sitting at home wondering if you'll be picked in the top 10 or be a late second-round pick. And second-round picks don't get guaranteed contracts.

"Right now he's working out and trying to keep himself in shape," said UF coach Billy Donovan of his big man on Tuesday. "But like anything you see or read right now, it's speculation. People know maybe the first 10 to 12 picks, because it's maybe a little bit more obvious. But after you move of the lottery I really believe from about 15 until about 40 nobody has any idea. You've seen kids think they're going to go in one area in the draft, and you know what? They don't."

Donovan's not just trying to lure Speights back, either, as history backs up his point.

Last season Arizona's Marcus Williams left after his sophomore year in hopes of being a lottery pick, and dropped down to the third pick in the second round where he played less than 37 minutes all season.

In 2006 Alexander Johnson left FSU early and dropped down to the 45th pick overall.

The Gators even had a recent example when Taurean Green dropped down to the 52nd pick. The year before that it was Pittsburgh's Chris Taft who was hoping to be a first rounder but fell to the second.

Couple that with the NBA gaining more and more of an overseas influence, it makes it even harder for college players.

The first time Speights will get the opportunity to work out for NBA teams is at the Orlando Pre-Draft Camp, which takes place at the end of May and beginning of June. An official date has not yet been released. Speights will have the option of deciding on whether to play in Orlando or just hold individual workouts for teams. If he plays in Orlando, he could move up the charts but his weaknesses could also be exposed against other players hoping to move up in the draft. His lack of endurance has been questioned while at UF, and that could be a hindrance if he chooses to play. But not many players have Speights' skills as a finesse big man, either.

"I just want to make sure they do have the right information, but right now there's no information," Donovan said. "We've gotten to a point where we finished playing our season over six weeks ago, and that's the unfortunate part for a lot of these kids. There's no new information."

Donovan brought up the point that if Speights is drafted in the second round, he wouldn't have a guaranteed contract and teams would be able to let go of him more easily than if they had spent a lottery- to mid-first round pick on him.

So far mock drafts are mixed when it comes to Speights. NBADraft.net has Speights lottery bound at No. 12 to the Sacramento Kings while DraftExpress.com and HoopsHype.com have him at No. 21 to the New Jersey Nets. MyNBADraft.com has him at No. 19 to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

CALATHES HEADED FOR BEJING?:

Nick Calathes will get the opportunity to try out for the Greek National Team, and, if they qualify, could be headed to Beijing for the Olympics in August. Calathes grandfather was born and raised in Greece

Donovan said he hopes Calathes will get the opportunity to play in the Olympics, even though he'd miss work outs in Gainesville.

MACKLIN IN CLASSES: Donovan confirmed Tuesday that recent Georgetown transfer Vernon Macklin has enrolled in classes for Summer A. Macklin, a 6-9 forward, will have to sit out the upcoming season due to transfer rules but should added some needed size and athleticism to UF's small frontcourt when he's eligible.