Only two years after a $30-million makeover, Library West administrators have realized some of the building's floors cannot handle the pressure of being a campus hotspot.

The library's cork flooring on the first, second and third floors will be replaced during the break between summer terms, forcing the library to close June 20 through June 29.

The cork tiles are peeling at the edges due to heavy foot traffic, said Barbara Hood, the library's spokeswoman.

"You can just see as you walk through the main traffic areas that they're just not holding up the way the architect and the builders thought they would," Hood said.

The new flooring will be made of marble and granite recycled chips, she said.

An information booth will be set up in front of the library's entrance during the construction period so students, faculty and staff can check out reference materials. Borrowed items can be returned to the drive-up book return or at another UF library.

Bill Covey, interim director for UF library support services, said the project would be funded by money left over from Library West's mammoth three-year renovation. The library reopened Aug. 2, 2006.

Covey said he did not expect the cost to be more than $200,000.