Dr. Michael L. Good was named the College of Medicine's interim dean Friday afternoon, less than a month after becoming acting dean following the demotion of Dr. Bruce Kone.

Good was appointed by UF President Bernie Machen and Dr. Doug Barrett, UF senior vice president for health affairs.

Good took the college's helm May 22 when Kone, the college's former dean, was demoted from dean to faculty status.

Kone came under scrutiny after his controversial decision to overrule a medical school admissions committee and admit a politically connected student was made public in April.

Kone is on personal leave until July 1, said Tom Fortner, Health Science Center spokesman.

Fortner said he expects Kone to become a full-time professor of nephrology when he returns.

Good will earn an annual salary of $512,000 as interim dean, Fortner said.

Barrett appointed Good, an anesthesiology professor, to interim dean after meetings with the college's faculty members and Machen, according to a Friday news release from UF's Health Science Center.

Good, who has been at UF for 20 years, has been senior associate dean for clinical affairs since 2005 and chief of the Shands at UF medical staff.

Good said those positions will be filled with new bodies once he assembles his leadership team.

Now that he is interim dean, Good's main task is to fill open chair positions and search for associate dean positions for the college's education and research programs.

Good said he views his new position as working for the department chairs and faculty.

He said he will encourage faculty to work in teams across departments to accomplish the college's goals of training medical students, providing excellent patient care and research.

"It is the interim dean's job to keep the college moving forward and excelling in all its missions," he said.

Good said he has served as acting dean many times before, but he has never had to be responsible for all of the functions of the Office of the Dean until now.

"There's nobody on vacation anymore," Good said.

Good said for the moment, he is unsure about submitting his name for consideration to become the college's permanent dean.

"My attention right now is focused on the matters of the college and not about me," he said.

"Some day we'll cross that bridge."

The search for a permanent dean cannot be initiated yet anyway because Barrett will resign from his position to a career in pediatrics effective June 30, and the person filling his position will be responsible for coordinating the search for the college's permanent dean.

Barrett's replacement has not been appointed since he announced his resignation in March.

In a Monday e-mail, Machen wrote that he will announce plans to fill Barrett's position at Friday's Board of Trustees meeting.