UPD uses Taser on teen after chase through Sorority Row

UF police chased and used a Taser on a Gainesville teenager Friday afternoon after he fled from police when they found marijuana and drug paraphernalia in his car.

Police pulled over a gold Nissan Maxima around 4:30 p.m. on Southwest Ninth Avenue after they saw the car following another vehicle too closely and making erratic lane changes, according to the police report.

They found marijuana, pipes and a scale inside the car.

Driver Brian Lucas Schendel, 19, was arrested for possession of drugs and paraphernalia with intent to sell.

As a police officer removed the paraphernalia, Schendel tried to flee on foot, according to the report.

A temporary perimeter was set up in the sorority row area, and Schendel began to hide around the Kappa Sigma Fraternity and the Kappa Delta Sorority houses, according to the report.

After locating Schendel, police used a Taser on him after he showed aggressive behavior toward officers.

Schendel continued to ignore police instructions while placing his hands in his pockets and making comments about someone with a gun, according to the report.

After police used the Taser, the teen said he was having problems breathing and was taken to North Florida Regional Medical Center, UPD Lt. Pam Bonner said.

After that, he was taken to Alachua County Jail, Bonner said.

Out of the four people who were in the car, an 18-year-old was released at the scene.

A 17-year-old was issued a sworn complaint, and Coury Phillip Walters, 19, was transported to Alachua County Jail because he had a warrant out of St. Johns County for an alcohol violation, according to the report. None of the four occupants of the Maxima were UF students.