UF Provost Joe Glover announced the appointment of a familiar UF face to a high-ranking position in the provost's office Monday.

Kathleen Long, dean of the College of Nursing since 1995, will spend half of her time serving as an associate provost while continuing to work as dean during the other half.

Long is the first "half-timer" to assume the role, which she begins filling today, Glover said in a phone interview.

Her new salary is still being worked out, he added.

Long said in a telephone interview that the first area she plans to tackle is developing a plan for UF to administer faculty sabbaticals, which are leaves of abscence faculty members take for research or travel.

She will also represent the provost's office in budget meetings with UF Chief Financial Officer Matt Fajack.

In UF's new budget model, Fajack oversees finances for several UF departments, including the provost's office and the Health Science Center.

Long said her experience managing the nursing college's budget and experience on several boards will enable her to play this new role.

She has served on the Board of Directors for the UF Foundation and Shands HealthCare, and she is the president of the Oak Hammock retirement community.

She will join four other associate provosts when she takes her new position, but a couple of them won't be around for too long.

Marc Hoit, interim vice provost for information technology and interim chief information officer, is leaving UF on July 28 for a job at North Carolina State University, said Steve Orlando, UF spokesman.

In addition, Debra Walker King, associate provost for faculty development, will be out of the office for a year as part of a 2008-2009 American Council on Education fellowship.

Although most associate provosts have specialties such as "faculty development" and "undergraduate affairs," Glover said it is still too early to condense Long's list of assignments into a word or two.