With temperatures hitting the 90s most days this summer, a hat might just become your new best friend. This season, hats are not just meant to be worn poolside. They can add a touch of style to any ensemble and, most importantly, protect your face from the summer's harsh rays.

On a recent trip to the Hamptons, Lindsay Lohan and close gal pal Samantha Ronson were spotted wearing this summer's "it" hat, the fedora. Ronson donned a white version with a black ribbon while Lohan sported the same one in black for a night out on the town. Lohan paired her fedora with a glitzy party dress, but Ronson kept it casual with jeans and a button-down T-shirt, thus proving that this style can be dressed up or down.

However, fashion experts say fedoras look best on petite girls.

"If you've got a small frame, choosing a hat that doesn't overwhelm can be a daunting task. The key is to hunt down hats with small brims and crowns," says wnetwork.com.

For those of you who only wear a hat when necessary, the floppy hat might be for you. Not only does it look great with a bikini, but it can also hide your tangled beach 'do. Forever 21 has cute options in straw and various bright colors, all for less than $20.

The only problem with big, floppy hats is that they may look adorable on your best friend but not on you. Make sure you try on the hat in the store to ensure it complements your bone structure and build before making a purchase.

Floppy hats look best on girls with long or oval face shapes. If you have a round face the fedora would be more suitable.

As with every accessory this summer, wear bold colors. To add color, pick a neutral hat with a bright ribbon. Or you can add your own. Simply tie a ribbon around the base of a floppy hat.

Follow my tips when picking your perfect summer hat, and not only will you be fashionable, but you'll be smart for protecting your skin.