Fraternity kicks off weekend with annual Blue and White fundraiser

Phi Beta Sigma's 26th annual Blue and White Weekend, which kicked off Sunday, will feature a step show, picnic and comedy performance this weekend.

More than 6,000 people are expected to attend the events, fraternity president Taurean Wiggins said.

The weekend, which has raised thousands of dollars for charities in years past, is packed with events, including a comedy show at the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts and after-parties at the Alachua County Fairgrounds.

Raquel Saint-Hilaire, a UF sophomore, said she has friends who are coming all the way from Georgia for the weekend.

Richard Dance, a UF microbiology and cell science junior who has attended Blue and White Weekend twice, said the events are among the most popular fraternity charities on campus.

Over the years, the fraternity has raised more than $30,000 during Blue and White Weekend events.

With that money, the fraternity has contributed to scholarships such as the Culture for Service Scholarship and the Bigger and Better Business Scholarship, and it has also given $10,000 to the American Cancer Society.