Home Zone at Reitz Union now included in students' meal plans

For students who want to use their campus meal plans but don't crave the all-you-can-eat menus at Broward Dining or Gator Corner, there's another option: Home Zone at the Reitz Union.

Students have purchased almost 800 meals at the eatery known for its "comfort food" as part of their enhanced meal plans since the option became available at the beginning of summer B, wrote Jill Rodriguez, district marketing manager for Aramark, UF's food service provider, in an e-mail.

That pales in comparison, however, to the almost 25,000 meals that have been served at Broward Dining and Gator Corner Dining Center in the same time period, Rodriguez wrote.

Students who dine at Home Zone are not able to load up on "unlimited seconds" like in the on-campus dining centers, according to the meal membership brochure.

Bob Miller, UF's associate vice president of business affairs, said if enough students use their meal plans at Home Zone, more places that accept the plan may be added in the future.

Miller said he wasn't sure where the next place might be located, but it could be in the core of campus in locations such as the Hub or the Racquet Club Dining Center.

He said the plan to increase the number of dining centers that accept the meal plan is mainly for students' convenience, but a side benefit is that it might help to reduce the percentage of plan meals that go unused each year.

From July 2006 to June 2007, nearly 40 percent of meal plan meals were unused.