Renovations to the large commuter parking lot behind Hume Hall began Monday, but most of the lot will remain open for parking while it is being repaved and repainted.

The project will be completed in phases, allowing about 75 percent of the parking spaces to remain available at all times, said Scott Fox, director of UF's Transportation and Parking Services.

Fox said the 1,077-space lot, which hasn't been resurfaced in at least a decade, had developed large potholes and cracks.

He is confident that construction should be done before the fall semester, but Chandler Rozear, the project manager, said UF hopes to finish before late July.

UF's Student Traffic Court will fund the project with about $282,000 from parking fines, Fox said.

Meanwhile, construction is under way on the new Southwest Parking Garage Complex, which will cover the existing Small Commuter Lot on Gale Lemerand Drive across the street from Pony Field and offer about 950 parking spaces.

Fox also said the construction this summer of two bus shelters, one across from the Lakeside Residential Complex on Museum Road and an updated one at the Large Commuter Lot, has been put on hold due to rising gas prices for the Regional Transit System. UF may have to step in and provide funds to help RTS maintain its level of service to the university.