SEC Media Days, Day 3: Kentucky coach Rich Brooks

HOOVER, Ala. - I hope you're all not tired of my blogs yet. I'll have a couple more today.

First up today is Kentucky and head coach Rich Brooks. Sure, the Gators play the Wildcats every year as they share space in the Southeastern Conference's Eastern Division, but the two teams can hardly be considered rivals. The Wildcats are also usually the doormats of the division (well, them and Vanderbilt), though they had a brief run at something special last year, beginning the season 5-0 and scoring 40 points or more in each of those games.

But once the SEC season began, Kentucky collapsed. Quarterback Andre' Woodson's Heisman beginning of the season quickly came to a close. Woodson isn't on the team this year, so the Wildcats' offense should slow down a bit.

Brooks stressed improvement from his defense this year. He thought all 11 of his starters could start on other teams in the conference. He also said that his team would compete with the more tradition SEC powerhouses Georgia and UF this season.

Brooks also added that he is in favor of a plus-one system for deciding a national champion and couldn't understand the argument against that system based on academic reasons.

"Football players miss less class time than any NCAA sport. Period. Bottom line," Brooks said. "It's just a ridiculous argument to see class time is a problem.

Then, he paused, and faced the reporter who asked him about the plus-one system.

"What was the first part of the question again? I got carried away."