Student Government kicked off a clothing drive to deliver clothes to young people in Alachua County before the school year begins on Aug. 18.

Yooni Yi, UF Student Body vice president and a leader of the project, said the aim of "Outfit Alachua" is to help the community's public school students. However, she said, UF students can benefit as well.

"With dorm and apartment move-out dates near, this can help them figure out what they really want to take with them," Yi said.

The drive began Monday and gathers clothing for Gainesville High School, the Alachua County Public Schools Foundation, Inc. and the Practical Academic Cultural Education (PACE) Center for Girls.

Gently used or new clothing for boys and girls ages 12 to 18 will be accepted.

SG will collect clothes on the Reitz Union Colonnade from noon to 2 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday and again Aug. 6 and Aug 7.

Permanent collection boxes are located in the SG offices on the third floor of the Reitz Union, Southwest Recreation Center, the Student Recreation and Fitness Center and Jennings and Murphree Residence Halls.

Yi asked students to donate garments they think high school students would enjoy wearing.

"MC Hammer pants are probably a no-go," she said.

But certain clothing is always in style.

"They really like Gator stuff. It goes really fast," she said.