State Attorney's Office drops 31 cases involving former GPD officer

The State Attorney's Office dropped 31 criminal cases during the last two months because the only witness in the cases was a former Gainesville Police officer who recently resigned amid an internal investigation.

No other evidence supported former officer John Robert Bostick's testimonies, said Spencer Mann, State Attorney's Office spokesman.

Bostick voluntarily resigned May 9 after a woman told police that Bostick shared confidential police information with her and intimidated her into having sex with him.

The dropped cases included 17 felonies, nine misdemeanors, four criminal traffic cases and one municipal ordinance case for an open container violation.

Most of the cases involved charges of possession of marijuana, cocaine or narcotic equipment.

Other charges included driving with a suspended license, trespassing and resisting an officer without violence. The attorney's office started closing the cases around mid-May, and the last case was closed June 11.

Court documents show the cases were closed because there was insufficient evidence or the witness was not competent enough to testify.

The attorney's office is still deciding whether Bostick will be charged and prosecuted for sexual battery in connection with the woman's complaint, Mann said.