UF bus tracking system makes changes to site in response to student feedback

While UF's new bus-tracking system has been running smoothly since its June 9 launch, several changes have been made in response to student feedback.

First, additional street names have been added to the map on The Gator Locator, which lets students view the location of certain RTS buses online.

In addition, the Web site domain name has been simplified from ufl.transloc-inc.com to gpsrts.ufl.edu. Users can also log on to www.gator-locator.com to view the map thanks to Kyle Huey, a UF student senator who purchased the domain name.

Regardless of the address, Bob Miller, UF's associate vice president of business affairs, said people appear to be flocking to the bus tracking Web site.

The online map that displays the location of the buses was accessed 18,000 times within the first ten days it was launched, Miller said.

People have also been sending comments through the feedback option on the site, he said.

Much of the feedback has been positive.

"AMAZING! What a great idea!" stated one response. "This is the best thing ever," read another.

While compliments on the project have been plentiful, users have also posted suggestions for improvements to the site.

Several people who left online comments said they wanted route 43, which goes to Santa Fe College, to be tracked. Miller said the route wouldn't be added because, unlike 50 other buses in the system, it doesn't go to UF.

A few people also wrote that they would like more dots, which currently identify major bus stops, to be placed on the map. Users said increasing the number of dots would help everyone see where the buses are in relation to all stops, not just the major ones. But Miller said placing dots at all the bus stops would make the map too cluttered.

While he cannot accommodate everyone's desires, Miller said students might be excited to learn that in the fall, UF plans to install an LCD screen at the Hub that displays the location of buses.

Diego Barboza, a UF history senior, said that would be a good idea because it's sometimes difficult for him to check the location of his bus online before heading to the stop.