UF student dies in hospital 9 days after car accident

To say Kyle Edward Hughes was devoted to his 2005 Gator-blue Mustang would be an understatement.

Hughes' roommate said he washed it almost every other day. He unwrapped packages that contained new parts for his car like a child on Christmas morning. His friends said his dedication to his car was outweighed only by his loyalty to his friends, family and faith.

On June 23, the 21-year-old UF business administration senior died in Tampa General Hospital, nine days after an accident that involved the vehicle he strived to perfect. The accident also claimed the life of his best friend and passenger, Jeremy Smith.

Smith, a 20-year-old UF landscape architecture junior, died at the scene.

Smith and Hughes were riding westbound on Durant Road near Plant City, Fla., on June 14 in Hughes' Mustang when he lost control and swerved into the opposite lane. The car collided with a 2000 Dodge Dakota driven by Plant City native Harrell Buckner Jr., 50, said J.D. Callaway, Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office spokesman. Hughes and Buckner were airlifted to the hospital. Buckner has since been released.

Callaway said the cause of the accident is still unknown, but speed could have been a factor. Because the investigation is ongoing, police have not disclosed all details, including whether the students were wearing seat belts.

Hughes' funeral was held Friday, and friends and family wore orange-and-blue clothes per the request of Hughes' parents, Lisa and Gary Hughes.

Lisa Hughes said her son lived for Gator sports, adding that she is glad he got to enjoy all three of UF's recent national championships.

She said she couldn't imagine anything that he would have wanted more than for people to attend his service decked out in hues of orange and blue.

"He was probably laughing at us and enjoying every second of that," she said.

She estimated that at least 300 people packed the church.

Sam DeCubellis, UF political science senior, spoke at the funeral.

"It's so sad to go through senior year without him," DeCubellis said. "He lived his life the way you're supposed to."

During his speech, DeCubellis said he didn't want to just share funny memories about his friend, though he has many. He said he encouraged the attendees to live their lives according to Hughes' example.

"If you want to honor Kyle, that's the way to go about it," he said. "I don't want him to ever be forgotten."