16 guns found in UF student's car during DUI arrest

Gainesville Police officers pulled over a UF student this weekend after they suspected him of driving under the influence.

Then they found 16 firearms in his car.

Thomas Joseph Tilley, 33, was arrested at about 7 a.m. Saturday after police found him sitting in his Acura on the wrong side of the road without his headlights on near Southwest 16th Avenue and Southwest 13th Street.

An officer noticed Tilley was having trouble moving and couldn't roll down his window, according to a police report.

Tilley was unable to tell police his address or phone number but said he'd had "a few beers," the report stated.

Police began administering field sobriety exercises but stopped for fear that Tilley, who was unable to keep his balance, would hurt himself.

He refused to give a breath sample.

During the tests, Tilley continually reached into his right front pocket.

A loaded handgun was later found in that pocket, according to the report.

Sixteen additional firearms were found in the Acura.

Tilley does have a concealed weapons permit, but police don't know why he had so many firearms in his car, said Officer Summer Hallett, GPD spokeswoman.

Tilley was charged with driving under the influence and resisting an officer by refusing to sign a citation, which are both misdemeanors.