Newcomer Tahnai Annis got a chance to respond Wednesday to being named the Southeastern Conference's Freshman Soccer Player of the Week following her golden goal against Florida Atlantic on Sunday.

The goal was the first of her early career and gave UF the 2-1 overtime win.

"It feels really good," Annis said. "It's definitely a boost in confidence, especially being a freshman. It's kind of a surprise, but definitely a good one."

Annis hopes to be a contributor for this young Gator squad. Sunday's goal helped her cause.

"I was really shocked when it happened," she said. "It was such a goal that happened in slow motion that when it happened, it was kind of overwhelming. But it was a goal that I'm glad I got because earlier in the game I had missed two pretty big opportunities that could've kept it from going into overtime."

ETC: UF coach Becky Burleigh shared her thoughts Wednesday on watching former Gator Heather Mitts win an Olympic gold medal in Beijing.

"It was great," she said. "It's always exciting when you know personally the people who are playing. And for Heather, this is her second gold medal, so it was really fun to watch."

Burleigh said she has not yet had the chance to talk to Mitts, expecting her to need time to adjust from her return to the states.

Burleigh and her team did contact former UF star and the U.S. women's national team's best player Abby Wambach following her injury in July that prevented her from playing in the Olympics.

"I sent her a message and our team sent her a card, but we haven't spoken to her," Burleigh said.