Bid Day a soggy but successful finale to Rush Week

Rain and puddles couldn't prevent Kelsey Carr and Marisa Eley from running across a soggy Norman Field on Sunday to their new sorority house.

For Bid Day photos, see our gallery.

More than 1,000 sorority hopefuls gathered to open little envelopes revealing which of the 16 Panhellenic sororities they could call home as part of bid day, the last event of the Panhellenic Council's 2008 recruitment week.

When Tropical Storm Fay swept across Florida, it was more chaotic than usual for Greek organizations.

"[The weather] was a nuisance, but it didn't stop us," said Jack Causseaux, associate director for the Office of Sorority and Fraternity Affairs.

Kristen Gillis, Panhellenic Council awards director, said the most important round of recruitment, called "Preferentials," was pushed from Saturday to Sunday morning so bid day was movedto Sunday night.

Carr said the weather put a damper on her attire and hair, but learning she would become a member of the Chi Omega Sorority made up for it.

"It was a long, stressful week, but this makes it all worth it," Carr said.