Board of Governors asks for more than $3.7 billion

Florida's Board of Governors, the State University System's highest governing body, will ask lawmakers to dole out $65.4 million in pay raises for faculty and staff as well as provide $30.3 million for rising utility costs next year.

The board's total budget request, approved by a unanimous vote, exceeds $3.7 billion and is about 9.5 percent more than last year's budget.

State legislators will consider the board's proposal, which calls for about $380 million more than included in the 2008-2009 appropriation, during the spring legislative session, according to Bill Edmonds, the board's spokesman.

The multi-million dollar request is an effort to keep top faculty and staff in the state by enticing them to stay with the promise of a pay raise.

State employees have gone without raises in two of the last five years, although non-recurring bonuses have been distributed.

The plan for raises comes about two weeks after UF President Bernie Machen announced an $11 million plan to give some UF faculty and all staff small pay raises using revenue from tuition increases and new fees.

Judy Solano, a University of North Florida professor and new member of the board, said a salary boost would be appreciated, but it probably wouldn't be enough to solve the state's exodus of teachers.

"The poachers are nipping at our heels," Solano said. "They're here."

The average increase in utilities is projected to be about 20 percent for the state's 11 public universities.

While the requested funds would cover the increase of utilities for next year, nothing will be done on the board's end to help universities cope with rising rates this year.