No June Jones or Colt Brennan.

No. 5 UF opens its 2008 season Saturday against a Hawaii team that went 12-1 last year, although with a different coach and a different quarterback.

Jones, now the head coach at Southern Methodist University, stirred up plenty of controversy last fall by referring to UF quarterback Tim Tebow as a "system quarterback." The comments were made in an attempt to bolster his quarterback's Heisman Trophy chances, although Brennan still fell short in the end.

The removal of those two storylines means it will be just another regular-season opener for the Gators against a team picked to finish fourth in the Western Athletic Conference by the league's coaches. UF is roughly a 35-point favorite, according to many betting Web sites.

Hawaii coach Greg McMackin knows the uphill battle his team faces and thinks UF should be ranked higher than fifth in the country.

"We played Georgia last year, and I think Florida's at least (No.) 1 or 2," McMackin said in a teleconference. "With the Heisman Trophy winner and then playing at The Swamp, that's a big challenge. I believe in my coaches and players, but it's a big challenge."

Hawaii's task will be made even more difficult by the 12:30 p.m. kickoff, which is the equivalent of a 6:30 a.m. start in Honululu. McMackin said his team regularly practices at 7 a.m. back home, which will help smooth the adjustment across time zones.

"That's just something you have to deal with," McMackin said. "It's just about the time we practice. We're going to be fine with it."

Travel was also a concern for the Warriors, who left their island home on Tuesday, flying to Atlanta with a connection in Los Angeles. Hawaii planned to practice at Georgia Tech's facilities for a few days before flying to Ocala and staying there until a final bus trip to Gainesville on game day.

The crowd noise will pose yet another challenge, with Ben Hill Griffin Stadium's capacity listed at 88,548. McMackin said he piped in noise during the Warriors' practice this week, although he doesn't expect that to represent what his team will face Saturday.

For UF, this weekend will be a chance to show just what improvements have been made since last year's disappointing 9-4 record. Meyer said the two biggest advancements came at the running back and cornerback positions.

Kestahn Moore, Chris Rainey, Emmanuel Moody and possibly Jeff Demps are all expected to see time at running back Saturday.

"Our goal for them is to just get them the ball, which is something that we have not done," Meyer said. "I'm kind of like a fan in that I can't wait to see these guys play."

The defense as a whole has plenty to prove coming off a season where it finished last in the Southeastern Conference in pass defense.

A big part of the problem was the lack of pass rush, something defensive end Carlos Dunlap says will change come Saturday.

"The defensive line is going to show out," Dunlap said. "It's going to show everybody what we've got, so everybody knows what we have. Ain't going to hide nothing. Right now we're just hiding it. First game, you're going to see for yourself. Ya'll can judge us."

Saturday also begins Tebow's second season as a starter. The junior looks to possibly become the second-ever repeat Heisman winner, behind Archie Griffin. McMackin said his defense wouldn't prepare any special scheme to handle Tebow but rather focus on execution.

"You just have to run your basic defenses and be sound and everybody do their job and their responsibility," McMackin said. "It makes you a lot more disciplined."