Arredondo Room closed during fall for renovations

The Arredondo Room, a slow-paced dining room on the fourth floor of the Reitz Union, is closed for renovations this fall.

Construction will begin in mid-October and will last until January or February, said Mike Mironack, director of operations for the Reitz Union.

Mironack said the Arredondo Room is usually closed during the summer, but it wasn't opened for the fall because start-up costs would outweigh the benefit of opening before construction begins. He said people would also get confused if it was only open for a week.

The biggest changes to the Arredondo Room would be merging it with the Micanopy Room and front lobby, he said. Other renovations include bringing the room up to building code standards.

Mironack said he could not give an estimate of what the renovations would cost because the building plan hasn't been finalized.

Pierre Jean-Louis, a UF history and religion senior, said he is looking forward to going back to the Arredondo Room after it is has been renovated.

"Pretty much everything UF renovates, it turns out better than it was," Jean-Louis said.