It took Urban Meyer just 14 seconds into a nearly 24-minute press conference to say one of the biggest factors in UF's success so far this season.

The Gators assistant coaches and coordinators are, according to Meyer, the "hardest working" group he's been around.

"That competitive team that showed up in Knoxville was a result of coach (Dan) McCarney and coach (Steve) Addazio," Meyer said.

And not to mention that three of these coaches - McCarney (defensive line), Kenny Carter (running backs) and Vance Bedford (cornerbacks) - are in their first years at UF. You'd expect it'd take awhile for players to get used to their position, coach's styles and ways they go about things. But, unfortunately for the coaches' job security, results are expected immediately in Gainesville. So far, that hasn't been a worry.

"Something must be going on very well in their meeting rooms because there are guys doing what they're asked to do," Meyer said. "The one way I know is when everybody breaks into their meeting rooms, if they're not carrying on what we say, what I say, what the program is all about, you're going to see a group that doesn't follow the plan."

Last season, UF's defensive line was constantly belittled by just about everyone outside of their family - especially after LSU converted 5-of-5 fourth downs last season, several of which were straight up the gut against the line.

Now, however, UF's line has some fresh new faces, and much of the credit goes to McCarney. Nose guard Lawrence Marsh barely got onto the field last year, but now he's the starter and is even becoming an impact player.

"Coach McCarney is a high-energy guy," Meyer said. "Marsh is not. Marsh quickly became a high-energy guy."

McCarney also left his imprint on South Florida defensive end George Selvie, who he coached last year, and Selvie is now a projected top NFL-draft pick.

Bedford, a former cornerback at Texas, has helped the Gators young secondary play beyond their years. The only upperclassmen in the secondary are junior corners Markihe Anderson and Wondy Pierre-Louis. Anderson is a backup, and Pierre-Louis is barely holding on to his starting job from Janoris Jenkins. In other words, UF's secondary is really, really young.

"He knows exactly what we're really going through," sophomore cornerback Joe Haden said of Bedford. "He's teaching us different techniques, and he's telling us stuff he did. Some coaches that never played the position might tell you how they think you should do that, but coach Bedford was in the situation."

Bedford has 20 years of experience coaching the defensive backfield, including six years coaching the Chicago Bears in the NFL. Last year he was on a Michigan coaching staff that defeated the Gators 41-35.

Now, however, these new coaches have been on the other side of things for UF. And the 30-6 laugher at Tennessee was the best example of the impact they've had yet.

"Those kids came out as a result of our coaches and our players believing in our coaches," Meyer said.