Earlier this week, we published an opinion column about Libertarian candidate Bob Barr's chances of being elected - rather, the lack thereof.

Despite the negative feedback, we'd like to reiterate that the article did not tell people that voting for a third-party presidential candidate was a waste. Instead, the column stated that Barr had no chance of winning.

There is a difference, even if it is small.

The argument at hand, meaning the notion that is pissing people off, is that a vote cast for a candidate who isn't affiliated with either of the major parties is a waste.

What's the point in voting for who you think will win? No one's going to high-five you for guessing correctly.

No vote is a wasted vote. We firmly believe it, and we will stand by it.

Republicans and Democrats have a stranglehold on American party politics, but that doesn't permit anyone to say that other parties don't matter.

If the Libertarian or Green parties can find and subsequently establish a firm party foundation, then there's no reason to believe that they can't build up their following.

Realistically speaking, it will be a long time before a third party could legitimately challenge for the presidency because they lack the fundraising ability that Democrats and Republicans have mastered.

To say that Barr's party can match them is a bold-faced lie.

That being said, if people believe in Libertarian policy or the platform of some obscure party, then don't they owe it to themselves to trust their gut and go to the polls for those who best represent them?