City Commission approves increase in GRU rates

The Gainesville City Commission passed proposed rate increases for Gainesville Regional Utilities in a meeting Thursday night.

GRU will raise its rates on electricity, gas, wastewater and drinking water for all customers starting Oct. 1.

Base rates for electricity will increase by $2.06 to $7.60. Drinking water rates will go up $1.65 to $7, and gas rates will go up $2.37 to $9.52.

Per-unit fees will also increase for each utility, depending on how much is used and when.

The price increase was caused by GRU's rising costs for materials, improvements to facilities and fewer customers than expected.

The wastewater rate change drew complaints from residents of private neighborhoods where the reclaimed water is used for required lawn maintenance.

Instead of paying a flat rate of $10 a month, customers will pay $6 a month plus 60 cents per 1,000 gallons used.

"I think GRU has blindsided us out there," said Cobblefield resident Melody Sost. "It's not right."

Commissioner Jack Donovan moved to postpone the wastewater decision for further analysis but was struck down.

Most of the commissioners agreed that the new wastewater rate was still low compared to other parts of the nation.

"I'll say it tonight, and I'll say it as much as I need to: We pay too little for water," Commissioner Lauren Poe said.