Soledad O'Brien is a busy woman.

She is a correspondent for CNN's Special Investigations Unit and co-anchored the network's morning show from 2003 to 2007.

And now, she's coming to UF.

O'Brien will kick off UF's Hispanic Heritage Month celebrations with a speech at the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts tonight.

Doors will open at 7 p.m., and her speech will be at 8 p.m. The event, co-sponsored by Accent Speaker's Bureau, is free and open to the public.

O'Brien wasn't Accent's first choice as a speaker, said Andrew Guglielmo, Accent chairman. The bureau originally pursued Sen. Mel Martinez but later decided to select someone with more cultural experience and name recognition.

"When we reworked our ideals, we realized that Soledad was the best choice," he said.

O'Brien, who is of African, Cuban and Irish descent, will focus her speech on journalism and diversity post-Sept. 11, Guglielmo said.

O'Brien's appearance will cost $35,000, according to Alligator archives.

Maryam Laguna, Hispanic Heritage Month executive director, said she is happy the speech will be the celebratory month's first event because O'Brien will "represent our community."

Other Hispanic Heritage Month events include a performance by spoken-word artist Mayda del Valle at the opening ceremony Sept. 15, a talent show Sept. 23 and a concert by hip-hop artist Pitbull on Sept. 26. The month's celebrations end Oct. 19.