Former Gator basketball player pleads not guilty in rape case

Former Gators basketball player Edward "Teddy" Dupay pleaded not guilty to counts of rape, kidnapping and sexual assault at a preliminary trial Monday.

A three-day jury trial is scheduled to be heard in Park City, Utah, starting Jan. 6.

Dupay, 29, was arrested June 19 in connection with a rape and kidnapping, according to a document from the Third District Court of Summit County, Utah.

Police responded to reports of an assault at a Park City resort and found a woman crying in the lobby, the document stated.

The woman, 28, told police she was Dupay's girlfriend of two years and that he had struck and kicked her about 150 times before raping her.

The woman said Dupay forced her under a desk and threatened to catch her and kill her and her family if she left the hotel room, the document stated.

Medical personnel reported that the woman appeared scratched and bruised, and the document stated that X-rays showed she had two fractured ribs.

Dupay was found in the resort and arrested. He told police he did not rape the woman, stating, "How can you rape someone you love?"

Dupay is charged with three felonies. If found guilty, he would be sentenced to at least 18 years in prison and could face life imprisonment.

The case will be prosecuted by attorney Paul R. Christensen and heard by Judge Bruce C. Lubeck.

UF spokesman Steve Orlando declined to comment on the former UF athlete, who helped lead the basketball team to the Final Four in 2000.