Hopkins brain surgeon discusses brain tumor research at UF

UF students and faculty crowded the auditorium at the McKnight Brain Institute on Wednesday to listen to a medical superstar discuss his research on brain stem cells.

In his talk to an audience of roughly 100, Dr. Alfredo Quinones-Hinojosa, an associate professor of neurosurgery at The Johns Hopkins University, delved into the role brain stem cells play in determining why tumors develop and how they can be treated.

Quinones-Hinojosa, a Mexican immigrant who became a leading U.S. brain surgeon, also appeared in the ABC News series "Hopkins."

The series gave viewers a peek into the everyday work of employees at The Johns Hopkins Hospital in Maryland.

"We love our work as brain surgeons, but brain surgery is not going to be the answer to fighting this disease," Quinones-Hinojosa told the crowd, adding that the battle will largely be fought in the lab.

At the end of the presentation, Quinones-Hinojosa credited his lab assistants and colleagues, including some UF faculty and students, for their contribution to his research.

Dr. Dennis Steindler, executive director of the McKnight Brain Institute, is a close friend of Quinones-Hinojosa.

The pair started the "Until We Cure Brain Tumors" program, which allows leading researchers from UF and Johns Hopkins to work together.

Steindler said the partnership would continue until a cure for brain cancer is developed.

"Brain tumors are formidable foes, and there are a zillion things to work on," Steindler said.

Steindler, who was instrumental in bringing Quinones-Hinojosa to speak, said he couldn't bypass the opportunity of inviting the doctor to share his knowledge of pivotal developments in the field.

Mariela Lopez, vice president of UF's branch of the Student National Medical Association, said she was just as impressed by Quinones-Hinojosa on Wednesday as she was the first time she heard him speak.

Lopez heard Quinones-Hinojosa discuss his rise from migrant worker to surgeon when she was admitted to UF's medical school in 2006.

"I'm Hispanic, and I think it also serves as motivation," she said.

Calling his story the "embodiment of the American Dream," Quinones-Hinojosa said he is blessed to be giving back to a country that has embraced him.

When asked about his journey, he said it wasn't without obstacles, but he had help along the way.

"It's a journey filled with a lot of support from this country and its people," Quinones-Hinojosa said.