The memories of last year's Auburn loss continue to stick with him.

Chas Henry botched his final punt against the Tigers last September, recording only a 25-yard net on the possession change. Auburn's offense got the ball at the 39-yard line, and then Henry could only watch in horror as the Tigers marched 35 yards down the field, setting up Wes Byrum's game-winning field goal as time expired.

"Every day I go out to practice, I think about it," Henry said. "That's the game that I feel like I let the team (down). Fourth quarter, big play, we need it, and I didn't come through. That set with me all last year."

Henry had a 25-yard punt against Miami on Saturday, shanking it right and out of bounds.

"When I hit the one off my foot, it's the same-type feeling," Henry said. "That brought back the memory of (the Auburn game). That is not a good feeling."

His commitment to improving has showed.

The sophomore has averaged 48.3 yards on his 11 punts this season and has a season-long of 60 yards and six punts of 50-plus yards. In the most important punting category - ones pinned inside the 20 - Henry has four.

"I've got my punter," said coach Urban Meyer, notorious for his emphasis on special teams. "I don't want anyone else."

He averaged 39.3 yards per punt last season but hopes to bring that number up to 44 or 45 this season.

"That's a high, lofty goal, but with the guys we have on this punt team, it's possible," he said.

Having a veteran long snapper like James Smith doesn't hurt.

"That's another thing that you never have to worry about," Henry said. "In high school, you can have some of those moments where you're not real sure where the ball is going to go, but having James Smith out there, who's a four-year starter, he's been doing it a long time. … You never really have to worry about it. It's always going to be right there on your hip."

But Henry's career didn't start that way. Meyer remembers Henry as "stiff and very unflexible" when he started at UF. The sophomore works with senior Bobby Kane and former Gators punter Eric Wilbur.

"Last year, my first game was a little panicky," he said. "Also, with the 90,000-plus (fans) - you don't see that in high school. There were a few more people than a high school football game."

Henry's mistake against Auburn last year led to an impassioned commitment to his team.

"That was my promise to the team &mdash that will never happen again."