Coach Urban Meyer had a succinct explanation for senior kicker Jonathan Phillips' blocked extra point in the fourth quarter.

"It's illegal to hurdle a player on a field goal," Meyer said. "I grabbed (the referee) on my sideline early in the game and said, 'Listen, they're doing this.' He made a comment, 'He went through the gap.' With the way we teach field-goal protection, there should be no gaps."

Meyer and offensive coordinator Dan Mullen admitted they would have to watch film of the game to see if Mississippi players were actually doing the illegal act, but what they believed they witnessed should've been penalized.

"It looked like they hurdled the protection," Meyer said. "We'll find out if that's what happened, and let them know it's against NCAA rules. I don't think the kick was low."

Phillips entered Saturday's game a perfect four for four on field goals. Now, he's still perfect on field goals after hitting a 32-yarder. In the extra-point section, however, that percentage is no longer flawless.

"It looked like they leaped over somebody on the line and got a hand on it," Mullen said. "I'm really not sure (what happened."

According to the players, maybe that blocked kick wasn't a big deal.

"It didn't deflate us," cornerback Joe Haden said. "We weren't going to tie. We were going to win. We just wanted to get the ball back to the offense. We weren't worried about that."

They probably wished they had worried more now.

"When I crossed the line, I made it up in my mind I was going to get the block," said Mississippi sophomore defensive end Kentrell Lockett, who blocked the kick. "In the gap, the guard didn't step down, and I took advantage of his mistake."

Offensive guard Mike Pouncey was sitting down on the bench during the block and couldn't see it happening. It didn't take long for a reaction to trickle down to Pouncey's end of the bench, though.

"I just heard it, and I was like, 'Dang,'" Pouncey said.

Now the Gators will have to wait and see if this affects Phillips in any way. Meyer said it wasn't the kicker's fault, and he's probably right. It would've been difficult for an NBA center to kick it over the head of the Rebel defenders, but it certainly makes Phillips wary of what could happen.

"What I tell Jon Phillips is make extra points, make field goals," Meyer said.