Oliver Tseng was halfway through the line to get his ticket to see hip-hop artist Pitbull perform when a representative from the University Box Office announced that only a few seats were left.

"I'll be upset if I don't get tickets because my friends got them earlier," Tseng said.

The tickets, free to UF students, were gone before he could get one.

Pitbull will perform at UF on Friday at the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts. Tickets for the show were distributed at noon Tuesday and were quickly swiped up just after 2 p.m.

About 1,500 tickets were given out within the two-hour span, said Maryam Laguna, executive director of Hispanic Heritage Month, which is co-sponsoring the event with Student Government Productions.

"I was expecting it to sell out; I just wasn't expecting it to sell out so fast," Laguna said.

She said more tickets would not be distributed because it would set the venue above its capacity of 1,600 people.

The box office distributed two tickets to each student with valid identification. Non-students paid $13 a ticket.

Doors for the concert will open at 7 p.m. Pitbull, whose real name is Armando Christian Pérez and is known for his hit "Bojangles," will take the stage at 9 p.m. Salsa band Dark Latin Groove will also perform.

Randy Quesada, a UF sophomore, couldn't stop smiling when his friend, Sayra Suarez, surprised him with a ticket to the show minutes after it sold out.

Suarez, the assistant director for the month's opening ceremony, had one to spare for her friend. The pair met in the Hispanic Student Association's Sabor Latino dance group while performing to a Pitbull song last spring.

"I could not deprive anyone of the pleasure of being at a Pitbull show," Suarez said.