College football should be decided like baseball

Dear college football fans,

All this talk about the BCS got me thinking over the last week.

It wasn't about a single-elimination playoff or anything.

I think it was Game 7 of the American League Championship Series that really got this idea kicking. (Go Rays, by the way.)

What if the BCS Championship wasn't decided by a one-game affair?

And no, I don't mean a playoff - not like you're thinking of, anyway.

What if the national title was a three-game series between the two teams?

I understand that this is unheard of in football and would likely never be implemented, but it's an interesting idea when you think of it.

The biggest argument against such a theory is that a football team can't play on consecutive days like baseball and basketball players, so a series would be too drawn out.

But just imagine if Game 1 was on a Saturday and Game 2 was the following Wednesday, with a potential Game 3 the next Saturday. There are still three or four days between games.

Don't even begin to tell me that this takes away from each individual game's drama. It's not like the BCS National Championship game, where it automatically equals drama (neither does any other playoff series in the MLB or NBA, for that matter). Five of the nine national title games since the BCS' inception in 1999 have been decided by two touchdowns or more.

But a multi-game series allows for adjustments. Or at least gives fans a bigger chance to gloat.

Would a second UF-Ohio State matchup in January 2007 have had a similar result? Who knows? It certainly would have given Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel an opportunity to try something different.

Now since this is a dream world we're talking about anyway, let's imagine an exciting way of setting it up.

The first game would be at the top-ranked team's stadium. Game 2 would be at the No. 2 team. Game 3 is at the neutral site of a bowl.

I realize rematches are despised in college football.

But unless the teams are greatly outmatched, two blowouts will be rare. And in those lucky years where the BCS actually pits two really good teams against each other (and good teams don't consistently get upset - cough Southern Cal cough), the matchup could be electric.

Imagine if in January 2003, Miami fans didn't have to live with the terrible pass interference call that lost them the game. Think a Game 2 in that series would've been boring?

What about January 2006 with Texas and USC? That 41-38 Longhorns' win was one of the best college football games ever. Those were two extremely evenly matched teams. I wouldn't have minded watching them go at it again.

Surely, Buckeye fans would've liked another shot in 2007 or 2008. Then again, UF fans probably wouldn't have minded the chance to gloat about a 2-0 sweep as opposed to just one dominating victory.

But yes, I know, for money reasons and otherwise, this idea will likely never get put into practical use.

Doesn't it make you wonder what if, though?

Anyway, I've got to get back to watching the Rays win it all.