UF linebacker Dustin Doe, who played sparingly against Mississippi on Saturday, is undergoing surgery for a double hernia on Wednesday, coach Urban Meyer said.

He expects Doe to miss this weekend's game at Arkansas and the Oct. 11 contest against LSU.

"We've had eight starters go down," Meyer said. "It's kind of a lot."

Doe first suffered a hernia on Sept. 6 against Miami. The junior had a second hernia against Tennessee on Sept. 20. The injury flared up again while playing Mississippi, and this time it needed surgery.

Doe is seventh on the team in tackles, tallying 13 in the Gators' four games.

In Doe's place, sophomore Brandon Hicks will be playing weakside linebacker. Hicks practiced with first-string linebackers Brandon Spikes and A.J. Jones on Tuesday. Linebacker Ryan Stamper is probable for the Arkansas game because he is still recovering from a sprained ankle.

Defensive coordinator Charlie Strong believes that by game time Saturday, Stamper should be available to take snaps for the team.

Strong did not know how much pain Doe is in.

"He never said it, he never showed it, so I just don't know," Strong said.

Other injuries: Starting left guard Jim Tartt's recurring shoulder injury is keeping him listed as doubtful for the Arkansas game.

Meyer said it is not pain that is slowing Tartt down, but a lack of maneuverability and strength.

Sophomore running back Emmanuel Moody is also doubtful for Saturday's game. He ran just three times for 16 yards against Mississippi before leaving with a sprained ankle. It appeared Moody was finally emerging as a consistent runner before he got hurt.

"When you envision a tailback dropping his pads on a safety like he did and getting that extra yardage after a run, I was real impressed with the way Emmanuel was running," Meyer said.