Gator Dining aims to reduce food waste on campus

In an effort to reduce food waste on campus, Gator Dining Services is launching a campaign targeted at students, faculty and staff - the "Erase the Waste" campaign.

"This program was developed by Gator Dining as part of our ongoing effort to contribute to the university's goal of zero waste by 2015," said Susanne Lewis, sustainability coordinator for Gator Dining Services.

The campaign will kick off with a pledge, Lewis said. The pledge, which will be running from October through November, will offer tips on how to reduce waste.

Those who sign the pledge will be eligible for prizes at the end of the campaign through a drawing.

In an effort to recruit signatures, Lewis said she would discuss the campaign's agenda at several events, including the dining hall parties Gator Dining hosts every week.

During internal food-waste audits, more than 600 pounds of leftovers was measured a day between Fresh Food Company and Gator Corner Dining Center, Lewis said.

"The average customer is throwing away around two ounces of food per visit," she said. "While this number may seem small, once you take a step back and look at it over the course of a year, it adds up to almost 100 tons of wasted food."

The campaign's immediate goals, Lewis said, are to educate people using dining options on campus and make them aware of the situation at hand. The ultimate goal is to have people change their behaviors and habits to benefit the environment and society.

Each year, Americans throws away 96 billion pounds of food, or 3,044 pounds a second, while 12.6 million children live in households with food insecurity, Lewis said.

"This is something that must change," she said.

Mariel Rector, a UF freshman, said she usually eats at Broward Dining Hall at least once a day.

Broward is set up as an all-you-can-eat style dining hall and gives out a certain portion of each dish.

Rector, who is a representative for her floor on the Rawlings Area Council, said she heard about the campaign during the council's weekly meeting.

"I think it's a good idea, but I'm not sure if it will work," she said.

Regardless, Rector said she plans to sign the pledge, which is available online at

http://www.bsd.ufl.edu/dining/nowastepledge.asp.