With a microphone in his hand, Validus vocalist Justin Kalvin will sing Friday for Save Second Base - a breast cancer benefit concert at Gainesville's Backstage Lounge, 1315 S. Main St.

Three local bands - punk/hard-rock band Last Will Illuminate, heavy-metal/alternative band 5 Day Beginning and heavy-metal band Validus - will each play a nine-song, 45-minute set.

"We want people to come for the cause. People know about [breast cancer research], and they know they can help, but this is a fun and easy way for them to contribute," said Validus guitarist Nick Disaro.

In light of breast cancer awareness month, Validus decided to turn the show into a gig with a good cause. Validus members began planning a benefit concert in July and put in more than 134 hours of work.

"We have all in some way or another been affected by breast cancer," said Validus bassist Aaron Schaef.

Backstage Lounge Coordinator Ed Waldick said his mother passed away from breast cancer, and he believes the event is a good benefit. He hopes for a turnout of 150 to 200 people.

Kalvin said the band chose to support the Breast Cancer Research Foundation because it gives 85 percent of every dollar donated to research and awareness.

Last Will Illuminate will strike their first chord at 10 p.m., followed by 5 Day Beginning. Validus will conclude the event.

"There is a stigma associated with the word 'metal,'" Kalvin said. "We are just too fun-loving for that angry, angst-ridden metal. We are not really dark people at all. We like bright color."

Kalvin dyed his beard pink six days ago to celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Women can drink free wells from 9 p.m. to midnight, and Hooters will provide free wings - while they last.

The price for Save Second Base is $6 for those under 21 and $5 for those 21 and over. The Breast Cancer Research Foundation donated signature curled pink ribbons, which will be available at the door. Doors open at 9 p.m.