Special teams will again play a big role when No. 5 UF hosts Kentucky on Saturday.

The Wildcats and Gators rank No. 1 and No. 2 in the Southeastern Conference, respectively, in kickoff return yardage.

Kentucky also ranks second in the conference in kickoff coverage, earning a net of 46.9 yards on kickoffs. UF has earned an average of 25.9 yards per return.

That battle will be key to the field position matchup, something UF coach Urban Meyer highly stresses.

"They're usually the best special teams that we face," Meyer said after Wednesday's practice.

ELECTION TALK: It seems discussion of the 2008 presidential election has even made its way into the college football landscape. Michelle Obama, wife of the Democratic Party candidate, Barack Obama, spoke in Gainesville on Tuesday.

Meyer doesn't mind the subject coming into his locker room.

"I love when our guys talk about that stuff," Meyer said, "and I actually hear them a little bit this year. I just think that's great and that's very mature. When I was 18 years old, that wasn't at the top of my list."

INJURY UPDATE: Offensive lineman Jim Tartt (shoulder) will not play Saturday against Kentucky, Meyer said. Tartt has had several surgeries to try to correct the chronic issue but has been unable to get back to 100 percent this season. Meyer said there is a chance he could play next week against Georgia. … Linebacker Dustin Doe practiced Wednesday and defensive coordinator Charlie Strong said he looked a bit rusty but was regaining form. … Running back Emmanuel Moody was a little sorer Wednesday, according to Meyer, but there's still a chance the sophomore might play.