Monday, April 29, 2024

Palin's views boost donations to Planned Parenthood

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's stance against abortion and favor of abstinence-only sex education have thousands of people making donations in her honor-to Planned Parenthood.

Nationally, the group, which provides sexual health-care services and education programs, received more than $750,000 in Palin's honor from more than 31,000 people by the end of September, said Adrienne Kimmell, executive director of the Florida Alliance of Planned Parenthood Affiliates.

About two-thirds of those are first-time donors, Kimmell said.

"It's interesting to see such a big response to this," she said.

The donations were encouraged by an anonymous chain e-mail stating that each time money is donated in Palin's name, she will receive a card letting her know.

Songwriter Gretchen Peters promoted the tactic, announcing in a release Saturday that throughout the election she would donate all royalties from her country-music song "Independence Day" to Planned Parenthood, after Palin entered the vice presidential debate as the song played.

At Planned Parenthood of North Central Florida, at least 20 donations have been made in Palin's honor, said Staci Fox, the group's president.

"We're honoring the gifts just like we would any other donor by sending notes to Gov. Palin," Fox said

Though Planned Parenthood is happy to accept any donations, Fox said the organization had nothing to do with the e-mails that are circulating.

"It's kind of a touchy subject because our organization needs to remain nonpartisan," Fox said.

Joshua Simmons, the president of Students for John McCain, said he thought the honorary donations could be construed as disrespectful, but he was not personally bothered by them.

"If that's what they want to do, more power to them," Simmons said. "Immature is what it is."

Kimmell said Planned Parenthood has no idea who started the e-mail.

"We have absolutely nothing to do with it other than that we have seen an increase in unsolicited donations," she said.